Friday, June 26, 2009

Guggenheim was not meant to be white


:: Photo: Daniel Wolf and Mathew Wolf in memory of Diane R. Wolf, the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation via The New York Times

I know how he felt. One holiday season I was driving through Cedar Park and was struck by the monotony of white holiday lights...everywhere. Where was the color? How about some red, green, or even purple? I made it home and declared only colored lights at our house from now on. My moderate - yet leaning right when it comes to aesthetics - husband quickly stomped out my declaration of hue. http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/06/24/realestate/0628-scape

1 comment:

  1. OMG! It's funny we get so used to the way things ARE that we imagine that this is the way they are supposed to be... I can't imagine seeing the Guggenheim any other way than white, so the idea that it was supposed to be RED is really surprising. (I remember having the same reaction when I learned that all of the temples of the Mayans and Aztecs, and for that matter, the Parthenon and the Pyramids, had originally been decorated with bright colors.) Sometimes the status quo is just the status quo.

    ReplyDelete